ADSM-L

backing up to tape/OS/390

2002-01-25 22:43:48
Subject: backing up to tape/OS/390
From: "Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:41:16 -0500
Environment:
System/390
device type: Cartridge/3590
TSM 4.1.3 Server
TSM client 3.1.06

Scenario:
I get notified in advance that I'll need to restore multiple clients (gigs
worth of data) on a given weekend.  I manually kick off a base backup to a
"spare" TSM server on Friday night so when the
call comes in (over the weekend) to restore the servers, I restore from a
relatively quiet TSM server.  I'm not contending with the production backup
cycle.

The problem:
This backed up data gets migrated to tape prior to my restore.  Invariably,
multiple servers' data ends up on one tape.  i.e. only one server can restore
at a time.

The question:
Is there a way to direct the backup data of a particular server to a specific
tape so I can run multiple restores from multiple tapes at the same time?  This
is killing me...  Good suggestions would
be appreciated.

Regards, Joe