ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli Decision Support and TSM server

2002-01-24 02:03:23
Subject: Re: Tivoli Decision Support and TSM server
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:00:23 +0200
Hi Bill,

What would you call a large Tsm server on OS/390?
Can you perhaps give me some detail as to Tsm db size and what
physical box you are running your TSM environment on?

To answer your question about running only selective queries - yes
the product can do that - when you run the loader you can specify
what areas you want to query - but the problem is that the TDSSMA
product builds it's own database in which the results of the loader
queries are stored - now here comes the fun part - it builds it's
own relationship in this new database about the queries that was
done on your TSM server. (This enables the product to build what they
call 3 dimensional views of your TSM data).
It is not documented what queries the loader combines to create this
3d view - so you don't know which of the resource intensive queries
could be run on a less frequent basis.
I'm currently waiting on our local IBM support to get me more info as
to which parts of the loader queries could be run seperate from the rest.

Still does not look very good to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Christo
==========

Christo,

Can you teel what sql query is running?  I know some queries are
really terrible, especially 'select * from volumeusage".  Is there some
options in the TDSSMA to limit what queries are done?

I run a large tsm erver on OS/390 also.  I can do a select of
all the occupancy data in 9 minutes elapsed time.  I can't compare
the performance with w2k or aix because I don't run those servers,
but I am happy with the perfromance on os/390.

But I agree with you about TDSSMA - if it drives the server crazy it
isn't a good product.

At 12:53 PM 1/23/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Are there any of you guys/gals that are running TDS for SMA?
>If you are - what kind of TSM server are you running:
>Platform and size of database being the ones I'll be interested
>in.
>We are busy evaluating the TDSSMA modules and are experiencing
>bad performance on our biggest TSM server - for those of you
>that are familiar with the product - when the TDS Loader runs it
>consumes about 24% of our OS/390 CPU for 28hours - the load is still
>not finished. This makes the whole TDS product useless to us.
>
>It is fine for our smaller TSM environments but it does not help
>getting different products for the smaller and bigger environments.
>To me it seems like the usefullness of this product or any other
>product that will be running SQL queries into your TSM db is severly
>impacted by the size of your TSM environment - coming back to the
>scalability of TSM's proprietary "black box" DB!
>
>Have any of you noticed this or do we need to look at other things.
>My opinion of TSM on OS/390 is that it performs worse on OS/390 than
>AIX or I'll even be as bold to say Win2K ;-)
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>Regards
>Christo Heuer

----------
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."