ADSM-L

Re: Windows TSM-Client Crash

2002-01-22 08:41:48
Subject: Re: Windows TSM-Client Crash
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:38:44 -0500
> Does anybody know what the fastest way is to solve this ?

You should contact IBM support and provide the Dr. Watson log files that
were created when the client crashed. You should also provide dsm.opt and
dsmerror.log. The folks in TSM support should be able to work with
development to analyze the problem and work toward resolution. If you want
to post them here, I can take a brief look; but at the same time, you
should still contact support.

If Dr. Watson is not the default debugger, then you need to run from the
command prompt:

   drwtsn32 -i

(Even if Dr. Watson is the default debugger, it doesn't hurt to run the
above command again.)

Then run:

   drwtsn32

This will bring up the Dr. Watson configuration dialog. The "Log File
Path" setting points to the directory where drwtsn32.log is created. You
can leave it as is, or change it to whatever you want (I set mine to
C:\DrWatson, then created the C:\DrWatson directory).

The "Crash Dump" setting points to the name of the user.dmp file to be
created at the time of the crash. You can leave it as is, or change it to
whatever you want (I set mine to C:\DrWatson\user.dmp).

"Number of Instructions" defaults to 10; I set mine to 20.

"Number of Errors To Save" defaults to 10; I leave mine set to 10.

"Dump Symbol Table", "Dump All Thread Contexts", "Append To Existing Log
File", and "Visual Notification", and "Create Crash Dump File" should all
be checked.

"Sound Notification" may be checked or not, depending on your personal
preference.

Click "OK" when you are done configuring Dr. Watson.

If you didn't have this configuration, you should make the changes I
suggested above. Recreate the crash problem, collect the docs, and report
it to IBM support.

Something else to try: can you run an incremental backup from the command
line?

   dsmc i

If you can recreate the crash this way, then for the purposes of gather
documentation, this is the preferred method since you don't have to deal
with fiddling about with the scheduler.

For the machine where the scheduler doesn't start at boot time: is the
service set for automatic startup? If so, are any messages generated in
the dsmerror or dsmsched.log files? How about the NT Event Log: any
messages there? If you run this command from the ..\baclient directory,
what does the output look like:

   dsmcutil query /name:yourschedulername

where "yourschedulername" is the name of the TSM scheduler service. If you
do not know the name, you can determine it by running:

   dsmcutil list

In general, when starting out with TSM, I recommend a minimal options
file, using mostly defaults, until you have a running configuration. If
you have a heavily customized options file, try a basic configuration:

   commmethod tcpip
   tcpserveraddress yourtsmserveraddress
   tcpport yourtsmport
   nodename yournodename
   passwordaccess generate

where "yourtsmserveraddress" is the TCP/IP address of your TSM server,
"yourtsmport" is the TCP/IP port (you only need this option if you don't
use port 1500), and "yournodename" is the name of the TSM client node.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group