ADSM-L

Window as TSM server with 1TB storage

2002-01-21 02:59:37
Subject: Window as TSM server with 1TB storage
From: William SO Ng <ngwso AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:40:15 +0800
To all,

Shall we conclude our discussion here ? To me,  discussion seems to become
whether Unix is better or Windows is better ?  I believe there is no
absolute answer to this question.  It is because there is no such thing as
"Perfect software" -  software that works in all circumstances.  It some
situation, Unix is better but Window is better at the other situation.

Now, I don't want to raise another round of discussion but I would like to
seek some advises.  Please don't jump into conclusion that Unix is better
or Window is better.  I'm open for both OS.

A user wants to use TSM.   TSM client is AIX but haven't decided to use
Windows or Unix as TSM server.
Environment:   only 3 AIX clients to be backup.   User wants to use Space
Manager for archive.   Size of data to be store on the server is 1T.
User prefer to use Window as server because of budget reason.

For me, this seems to be a borderline case because

There is only 3 clients so a Window server should be sufficient.   However,
I have some doubts to use Window as server for 1T storage.
Besides, I am not sure will there be problem to use  AIX as client but
Window as server for space manager ?

So can someone give advise whether a Unix server is better than a Window
server or vice versa.

Regards
William

Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group, IBM China/Hong Kong Limited
11/F, PCCW Tower, Taikoo Place, 979 King's Road, Hong Kong
Internet : ngwso AT hk1.ibm DOT com
Tel: 2825-7613                    Fax: 2825-0022