ADSM-L

HP LTO drives show as GENERICTAPE

2002-01-18 11:04:42
Subject: HP LTO drives show as GENERICTAPE
From: William Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:58:31 -0500
Win2K TSM Server 4.2.1.9, Qlocic fibre card, Dell Powervault 136T library
with the FC Bridge attachment, 3-HP LTO Dell PowerVault 110T tape drives.

I see everything, and in the ADSMSCSI drive I see the changer and 3-drives.
In the management console, under the driver and Device details, it lists the
tapes as:

TSM Device Name:        \\.\Tape0,1 and 2
TSM Device Type:        LTO

I have selected that the drives are managmed by the native drivers (latest
version supplied by Dell) and the autochanger be managed by the TSM scsi
driver.

I defined and LTO deviceclass, and defined the library and the 3-drives
using the DEVICE=\\.\Tape0 name. It lets me do all that, but when I Q
DRIVES, they are all listed as GENERICTAPE. A SHOW LIBRARY indicates the
same thing.

According the the TSM Server readme file for 4.2.1.0, the library and drives
are supported. It doesn't say anything about the fibre part, maybe that's
the problem.

I can use the drives as long as I went in and created a GENERICTAPE device
class. They don't perform very well that way. I have a PMR opened with
Tivoli, but I thought I would see if anyone had other thoughts. Initially
Tivoli didn't have an answer, but they are still researching the problem. I
also didn't find any hits on the archives.

TIA,
Bill Boyer
"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the sun." -Unknown-