ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?

2002-01-17 19:07:23
Subject: Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?
From: Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:04:48 -0500
Putting all the OS/HW dogma aside, IBM/Tivoli doesn't support TSM on NT as
seriously as it does on other, more 'expensive' platforms.

Earlier this year, we discovered a serious (fatal actually) flaw with TSM
on WinNT 4.  TSM would hang each and every time a platter was unmounted
from a drive in a 3995-C66 optical library.  The bug was reported the same
day it was discovered, and escalated to management within a week.  The
answer Tivoli gave was "wait for the next maintenance release".  It took
four weeks.

On larger, more expensive platforms, patches of this sort are of a higher
priority.  Why?  Because the customer running on more expensive hardware
likely spent the extra money for a higher level of performance.  I doubt I
would have waited more than two or three days of the problem I described
had appeared on AIX.

-JD.