ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?

2002-01-17 03:32:40
Subject: Re: TSM Server on Windows - Does it work?
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:24:01 +0100
Hi

There is no problems running TSM on Windows depending on how many clients u
are using and how much data your going to backup on a nightly basis.

Normally, I would say that if you have more than 100 backupclients, or more
than 500GB of incremental data each night, I would not suggest running
Windows as backupserver. This is because AIX, Solaris and HP/UX has a lot
higher I/O throughput than Windows servers.

But, if you have less than 100 clients and/or less than 500GB of
incremental data each night, there should be no problems backuping using
Windows as the server platform.

And, if you were to decide to use Windows, if you're clients grow, you can
always cluster the TSM server, to balance the system.

Normally, I try to have my clients run TSM on AIX. But this is always a
question about investment costs and if there is any personel that can
administer AIX.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                    wptw63

                    <wptw63@TELST        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    RA.COM>              cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     TSM Server on Windows -
Does it work?
                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    2002-01-16

                    22:13

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

We are considering installing TSM server, and are being 'encouraged' to
run it on AIX but are a little cold to the idea.  We have more
experience supporting Windows 2000.

Does anyone have any feedback on the stability or performance of TSM
server running on Windows?

Feel free to mail directly if you have any information that you willing
to share but are uncomfortable putting on the list.

Thanks