ADSM-L

Re: What qualifies as an in use license?

2002-01-15 11:56:40
Subject: Re: What qualifies as an in use license?
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:43:14 -0600
As I understand it, one needs to buy one managed system (LAN or SAN) per
managed SYSTEM, regardless of how many nodes are registered on that system.
The 'q license' report is not necessarily a good indication of how many
client BA licenses you have to buy (it works well for TDPs and libraries).

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Daniel Sparrman

                    <daniel.sparrman       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    @EXIST.SE>             cc:

                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     Re: What qualifies as
an in use license?
                    Dist Stor

                    Manager"

                    <[email protected]

                    T.EDU>

                    01/15/2002 09:44

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Hi

Yes, every node registred on the server counts as one client license.

Also, if you use separate nodenames for Tivoli Data Protection clients,
everyone will count as 1 Managed System LAN.

I'm not sure, but I also think that every Managed System SAN counts as one
managed systems lan also.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                    Dylan Ryback
                    <dryback@HOME        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    .COM>                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     What qualifies as an
in use license?
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    2002-01-15
                    16:45
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I'm in the midst of doing a cleanup job on our TSM servers.  When I do a 'q
license', one of the results is:

Number of Managed System for LAN in use: 107

My question is, what counts as 'in use'?  For example, there are a bunch of
nodes that are defined and are no longer used or associated with any
schedules.  Do these count as 'in use', and if so, should I export the node
out of the db and delete it to get the license counts down?  One other
question: anyone got a query to figure out which nodes are NOT associated
with a schedule.  This would help me identify nodes that are candidates for
export.

Many thanks,
Dylan