ADSM-L

Re: Tape question

2002-01-14 17:21:47
Subject: Re: Tape question
From: Allen Barth <allen_barth AT SCUDDER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:16:58 -0600
Fred, if the users' data is already compressed (ie BACKTRACK data) coming
in it is quite possible to get only this much.  You don't say, but are
these K or J carts?  In my experience with J carts I was getting 12-60 gig
per cart depending on the data, with an average around 18G.

Also I think I'd change your devc setting to format=3590E-C.  A format
specification 'drive' is supposed to take the highest capability of the
drive, but I've been bitten by this more than once.

Est capacity has nothing to do with how much can fit on a cart.

Regards,
Al Barth
Zurich Scudder Investments

                    Fred Johanson
                    <fred AT MIDWAY DOT UCH       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                    ICAGO.EDU>             cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     Tape question
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    01/14/02 03:36
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

One of my users has a special project to backup 800 Gb for a few days and
then throw it away.  Since we've just cleaned the test machine to put up
V4R2, I agreed and let him have the test machine for 3-4 days.  The machine
is configured just like production, in particular the DEVC=TAPE:

        Device Class Name: TAPE
   Device Access Strategy: Sequential
       Storage Pool Count: 7
              Device Type: 3590
                   Format: DRIVE
    Est/Max Capacity (MB):
              Mount Limit: DRIVES
         Mount Wait (min): 60
    Mount Retention (min): 2
             Label Prefix: ADSM
                  Library: TSMLIB

The drive is a 3590-E, which experience shows will hold 50-100 Gb,
depending on compression.  I put 30 new cartridges into the 3494, whcih
should have sufficed him with room to spare.

However, what I'm seeing consistently is a tape being marked full at
18.5-18.8 Gb.  It appears that all the files are pretty much the same size,
and there are lots of them.  But what can I do to get more onto a volume???

This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the named person(s), who is/are the
only authorized recipients.  If this message has reached you in error,
destroy it without review and notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.