ADSM-L

***The JOURNALED BACKUP saga continues...***

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: ***The JOURNALED BACKUP saga continues...***
From: Pete Tanenhaus [mailto:tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Answers/Comments to questions......

>>> I have read all of the information about Journal Backups in the
>>> "Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Using the Backup-Archive Client=
"
>>> Manual and
also
>>> the "4.2.1 READMe for NT" and it seems that there is more
>>> information
needed
>>> on the behavior of Journal-Based Backups!

Agreed. I am working on developing a redbook with guidelines for
understanding and deploying Journal Based Backup.

>>> I have an NT 4.0 client with TSM 4.2.1.15 (I will soon be upgrading=

>>> 4.1.2.20) client installed which it processes approximately 290,000=

objects
>>> with about 2,200 (less than 1%) changing on a daily basis.

>>> If the amount of daily change activity is less than 5% is it still
>>> beneficial to use Journal Backups?

This is an ideal environment for Journal Based Backup.

The primary performance benefit over normal incremental backup is
eliminating scanning the entire local file system.

>>> When I first upgraded to 4.2.1.15 from 4.1.2.0, I decided not to
perform a
>>> Journal backup on this particular client, so I DISABLED the service=
.
On
>>> Tuesday, I started the Journal Service so it could begin its
>>> journaling process and log any changed objects or its attributes in=

>>> the journal database.  The backup still took 9.5 hours to complete
>>> with the same behavior as without Journaling. So, I continued to le=
>>> it run the next
night
>>> and it still took 9.5 hours as well.
>>>
>>> It seems as if the Journal Engine Service is not working properly!
still
>>> see sessions terminating due to the extensive processing/querying
>>> that
the
>>> producer thread does while in an idlewait status.

Keep in mind that a normal full incremental must be done on a file syst=
em
being journaled to create a valid journal before journal based backup w=
ill
work.

If the Journal Service is stopped all journals are deleted and obviousl=
will no longer valid when the service is restarted so a full incrementa=
must be performed (and completed) before journal based backup will work=

again.

The version 5.1 journal service has a setting to override this behavior=
,
that is to allow a journal to remain valid when the file system goes
offline
or the service is stopped and restarted.

>>> It seems as if the Journal Engine Service is not working properly!
still
>>> see sessions terminating due to the extensive processing/querying
>>> that
the
>>> producer thread does while in an idlewait status.

I think what is happening is that a full incremental is being forced
because
the journal was deleted when you stopped the service.

Note that you can override journal based backup when a valid journal ex=
ists
by using the -nojournal option in the backup client..

>>> Also, if anyone can explain this message it would be greatly
appreciated?

>>> "psFsMonitorThread(tid 1044): Object 'C:\WINNT\Temp\TMP5.tmp' was
deleted
>>> after notification."

This message is erroneous and shouldn't be logged as an error (this is
fixed
in the version 5.1 journal service).

Basically what it means is that a change notification was generated for=
 an
object which was deleted before journal service could process the
notification.

I mistakenly thought this to be an unusual type of error condition but =
it
turns out to happen quite frequently when applications create and delet=
temporary files in a very short time span.

Hope this answers your questions .....

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it=
"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on
01/10/2002 03:03 PM ---------------------------
01/10/2002 03:03 PM ---------------------------

"Malbrough, Demetrius" <DMalbrough AT TTIINC DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 01/10/=
2002
12:22:13 PM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

**This question is posed to Tivoli Client Development [Andy Raibeck] or=

Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development [Pete Tanenhaus] if
possible!!!!**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
-----
I have read all of the information about Journal Backups in the "Tivoli=
I have read all of the information about Journal Backups in the "Tivoli=

Storage Manager for Windows Using the Backup-Archive Client" Manual and=

also
the "4.2.1 READMe for NT" and it seems that there is more information
needed
on the behavior of Journal-Based Backups!

I have an NT 4.0 client with TSM 4.2.1.15 (I will soon be upgrading to
4.1.2.20) client installed which it processes approximately 290,000 obj=
ects
with about 2,200 (less than 1%) changing on a daily basis.

If the amount of daily change activity is less than 5% is it still
beneficial to use Journal Backups?

When I first upgraded to 4.2.1.15 from 4.1.2.0, I decided not to perfor=
m a
Journal backup on this particular client, so I DISABLED the service.  O=
Tuesday, I started the Journal Service so it could begin its journaling=

process and log any changed objects or its attributes in the journal
database.  The backup still took 9.5 hours to complete with the same
behavior as without Journaling. So, I continued to let it run the next
night
and it still took 9.5 hours as well.

It seems as if the Journal Engine Service is not working properly!  I s=
till
see sessions terminating due to the extensive processing/querying that =
the
producer thread does while in an idlewait status.

An excerpt from the dsmsched.log----->

21:32:08 ANS1898I ***** Processed    73,500 files *****
21:33:00 ANS1898I ***** Processed    74,000 files *****
21:34:06 ANS1898I ***** Processed    74,500 files *****
21:35:24 ANS1898I ***** Processed    75,000 files *****
21:36:28 ANS1898I ***** Processed    75,500 files *****
21:37:33 ANS1898I ***** Processed    76,000 files *****
21:38:41 ANS1898I ***** Processed    76,500 files *****
21:39:48 ANS1898I ***** Processed    77,000 files *****
21:40:57 ANS1898I ***** Processed    77,500 files *****
21:42:21 ANS1898I ***** Processed    78,000 files *****
21:43:45 ANS1898I ***** Processed    78,500 files *****

*************STILL PROCESSING UNTIL********************

23:51:44 ANS1898I ***** Processed   151,500 files *****
00:02:09 ANS1898I ***** Processed   155,000 files *****
00:02:10 ANS1898I ***** Processed   156,500 files *****
00:02:17 ANS1898I ***** Processed   157,000 files *****
00:11:39 ANS1898I ***** Processed   162,000 files *****
00:12:58 ANS1898I ***** Processed   163,000 files *****
00:14:06 ANS1898I ***** Processed   163,500 files *****
00:16:54 ANS1898I ***** Processed   165,000 files *****
00:19:23 ANS1898I ***** Processed   165,500 files *****
00:19:25 ANS1898I ***** Processed   166,500 files *****
00:20:05 ANS1898I ***** Processed   167,000 files *****
00:20:31 ANS1898I ***** Processed   167,500 files *****

Between 21:32:08 and 00:20:31 (almost 3 hrs) is when I see multiple
sessions
terminating due to the idlewait time of 60 mins.

Should I increase the IDLEWAIT time to 180 mins. (3 hrs) or will that o=
nly
eliminate the multiple sessions timing out or increase the performance =
of
my
backup?

Also, if anyone can explain this message it would be greatly appreciate=
d?

"psFsMonitorThread(tid 1044): Object 'C:\WINNT\Temp\TMP5.tmp' was delet=
ed
after notification."

Thanks,

Demetrius Malbrough