ADSM-L

Re: Tapes and TSM

2002-01-11 09:44:56
Subject: Re: Tapes and TSM
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:42:02 -0500
On 10 Jan 2002 at 15:13, Lawrence Clark wrote, in part:
>     ... Reclaim should be set to around 50% on primary storage pools.

I disagree in that I believe that reclamation should be set as low as
"practical" for your situation.  Lower reclamation values generally
result in quicker restores and a need for fewer tape volumes overall,
at the expense of increased tape processing.

A 50% reclamation level is often suggested as a rule of thumb. This
doesn't mean data for any file system is spread over twice as many
tapes as perfectly packed data (0%?!).  Likewise, a 90% reclamation
level doesn't mean 10 times as many tapes as perfectly packed, as some
tapes may be near the reclamation level and some perfectly packed.
How important this effect has on relative numbers of tapes is dependent
on tape capacity relative to file system size (for perfectly collated
by file system storage pools) and other factors.

My little 1G tapes and (sometimes slow) manual mounts means that I'm
often happy at an 80% reclamation and ecstatic at a 60% level.

I have little experience with reclamation of copy pools.  Anyone have
rules of thumb for reclamation of copy pool volumes?

cheers, wayne
Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System