ADSM-L

AW: Client Compression question

2002-01-10 03:08:13
Subject: AW: Client Compression question
From: Stefan Holzwarth <stefan.holzwarth AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:07:03 +0100
Hi Kevin,

at the moment i have no speed problem. But sometimes i do not have
enough tapeunits.(i share the units with mvs). If the primary diskpool
is too small and the available drives are all used by tsm
(migration, db backup,dedicated backups to tape of very big files.....)
in the past i often went into trouble.
Migration from disk to tape disk needs about 3-4 drives to handle incoming
data.
Therefore i decided to work with client compression (more data fits on disk
pools).
I noticed, that mainly there is no degraded speed (sometimes i get
8-10MB/sec during backup for that NAS Node).
It seems that the search for files limits at the moment the backup-speed.
BTW i am happy with 8-10MB/sec

Can you please more explain your hint regarding device class? I do not find
the format parameter, i only get

             Device Class Name: 3590RZ
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 2
Last Update by (administrator): PPOHS
         Last Update Date/Time: 13.12.2001 18:09:14
                   Device Type: 3590
         Maximum Capacity (MB):
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 15.360,0
           Dataset Name Prefix: ADSM