ADSM-L

Re: TKG's Bare Metal Restore

2002-01-08 16:34:29
Subject: Re: TKG's Bare Metal Restore
From: "Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:30:42 -0800
You are exactly right Kelly.

I have mentioned this before with little attention from IBM/Tivoli.  A
couple of years ago I worked on a project with IBM to develop a
backup/DR solution for Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart's requirements were that
bare-metal restores had to be a mere put in of a floppy for Windows
client or a tape for UNIX clients and have the store clerks push the
power on bottom for that server.  When I brought in a Jr. member of my
staff to finish up the final touches of the TSM portion of the solution,
the IBM client team wrote code that actually provided this
functionality.

For NT clients you put in a floppy and turned the computer on, it
detected that the system needed to perform a bare-metal restore and
pulled the OS image from another NT server and then restored all data,
config info and the system registry from TSM.

For HP-UX and AIX we were able to put in a bootable tape and walk away.
After the tape got the OS backup and running, calls were made to TSM to
restore data as of the last backup.  Both of these worked like a charm.

If anybody from Tivoli would like the IBM reps contact info who owns the
code, I would be more than happy to provide it to them.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi