ADSM-L

Re: TKG's Bare Metal Restore

2002-01-08 16:08:45
Subject: Re: TKG's Bare Metal Restore
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:01:31 -0500
People want a single backup solution that has useable disaster recovery
features for recreating a server from scratch.

>>> connorj AT NIAGARAMOHAWK DOT COM 01/08/02 03:52PM >>>
That's about all we can do I guess.

I'm already trying to fight off Veritas here and keep us standardized on
TSM.  I can't see myself saying to management "TSM is better, but can
I buy this Veritas product to use with the TSM?".  Their obvious
answer would be "why not just buy the whole Veritas solution and
avoid dealing with two vendors?".

Tivoli needs to supply a native BMR solution, and a native HSM
solution for NT/2000.  It's nice that they have at least tried to partner
with other vendors to provide a solution for what TSM cannot offer
itself.  The problem is these partnerships don't last.  Remember
AvailHSM? STAC? I'm guessing we'll be adding TKG to that list
eventually.  I think enough people want a TSM solution
for BMR and a TSM HSM solution for NT/2000 that it warrants the
Tivoli  R&D dollars.  I also realize that Tivoli has a lot of plans to
bring new
features to TSM and there are only so many R&D dollars to go around.
However, as long as Tivoli continues to rely on partners for these
solutions
I'm going to be cautious about investing time and money in them.

What do you all think?

Jeff

"Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 01/08/2002 01:55:47
PM