ADSM-L

Long-Term Storage

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: Long-Term Storage
From: Martin, Jon R. [mailto:jrmartin AT KNS DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
 Good Afternoon,

        I am trying to identify the "best solution" for achieving long term
storage requirements.  However each option has pros and cons.  Would anyone
like to share their long-term storage solution and why they chose that way.
My storage requirement is 7 years.

        Here are the options I have come up with so far

Backup Sets:
        pros:   Can be placed on CD ( lower media cost and easier to store )
                Does not require addition client session

        cons:   A backup set can only be restored in it's entirety.
                How to create backup sets for databases backed up with
utilities like SQL-Backtrack or TDP?

Archiving:
        pros:   Possible to restore single files

        cons:   I don't think it is possible to archive to CD-Rom. ( Correct
me if I'm wrong )
                Cost of tape cartridges to hold 7 years worth of data
extremely expensive.
                Requires addition session with client

Additionally one benefit to a backup set would be that if in X years if the
TSM Server is replaced by another product only the TSM client would be
needed to restore a backup set.  Whereas to restore archived information the
TSM server would be required.

Thanks,
Jon Martin

 This message and any attachments is solely for the intended recipient. If
you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or
distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited --
please immediately and permanently delete this message.