ADSM-L

Long-Term Storage

2002-01-08 13:16:24
Subject: Long-Term Storage
From: "Martin, Jon R." <jrmartin AT KNS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:15:31 -0500
 Good Afternoon,

        I am trying to identify the "best solution" for achieving long term
storage requirements.  However each option has pros and cons.  Would anyone
like to share their long-term storage solution and why they chose that way.
My storage requirement is 7 years.

        Here are the options I have come up with so far

Backup Sets:
        pros:   Can be placed on CD ( lower media cost and easier to store )
                Does not require addition client session

        cons:   A backup set can only be restored in it's entirety.
                How to create backup sets for databases backed up with
utilities like SQL-Backtrack or TDP?

Archiving:
        pros:   Possible to restore single files

        cons:   I don't think it is possible to archive to CD-Rom. ( Correct
me if I'm wrong )
                Cost of tape cartridges to hold 7 years worth of data
extremely expensive.
                Requires addition session with client

Additionally one benefit to a backup set would be that if in X years if the
TSM Server is replaced by another product only the TSM client would be
needed to restore a backup set.  Whereas to restore archived information the
TSM server would be required.

Thanks,
Jon Martin