ADSM-L

Re: unreadable bytes

2002-01-02 19:54:45
Subject: Re: unreadable bytes
From: Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:48:57 +0000
Kelly

> I've seen this for a couple of versions.  I'm a bad boy in that I have
not
> reported it.  I think there is some slight bug when a  move data starts:
> counter is not being zeroed as it should be before the processing starts.
> As long as the number of unreadable files stays zero I believe you're OK.

I'm a good boy :-). When I reported it, I got the following back from
Tivoli.

Neil

APAR= IC32156  SER=                            MS MSGANR0986I
QUERY PROCESS STATISTICS ERROR FOR SPACE RECLAMATION
OF OFFSITE VOLUMES.
STAT= CLOSED  PER  FESN0907538-     CTID= TU0290 ISEV= 4
SB01/11/12  RC01/11/12  CL01/11/12  PD           SEV= 4
RCOMP= 5698TSMNT    TSM NT SERVER   RREL= R420
SYSROUTE OF: IC31866  RET APAR=             PS= S
STATUS DETAIL=                 RELIEF AVAILABLE=

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
Query Process statistics reported for offsite volumes appear not
to be reset.
Example of statistics:
  25     Space Reclamation   Offsite Volume(s) (storage pool
         OFFSITE-ARCHIVE),
         Moved Files: 43582, Moved Bytes:  227993944,

         Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes:  227994021.
         Current Physical File(bytes):  227993983
 25     Space Reclamation   Offsite Volume(s) (storage pool
        OFFSITE-ARCHIVE),
        Moved Files: 51002, Moved Bytes:   223799640,
        Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes:  223799717.
        Current Physical File(bytes):   223799673

Please note from the statistic being generated that there are no
UNREADABLE FILES being generated but there are
UNREADABLE BYTES. The problem only appears on Query
Process of offsite volumes.
Problem has also been reported on Move Data
LOCAL FIX:
None

PROBLEM SUMMARY:
* USERS AFFECTED: All TSM 42 users issuing QUERY PROCESS for   *
*                 offsite volume reclamations and MOVE DATA    *
*                 for onsite volumes                           *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: For TSM 420 users, the QUERY PROCESS    *
*                      for reclamation of offsite volumes      *
*                      will report incorrect statistics        *
*                      for Moved Bytes, Unreadable Bytes,      *

*                      and Current Physical File.              *
*                      For TSM 421 users, the QUERY PROCESS    *
*                      for reclamation of offsite volumes      *
*                      should report the correct statistics    *
*                      report for Moved Bytes, Unreadable      *
*                      Bytes, and Current Physical File.       *
*                      But QUERY PROCESS for MOVE DATA on      *
*                      onsite volume will report the           *
*                      incorrect statistics for                *
*                      Unreadable Bytes.                       *
* RECOMMENDATION: For TSM 420 users, upgrade to TSM 421 and    *
*                 apply the fix for this APAR when it is       *
*                 available.                                   *
*                 For TSM 421 users, apply the fix for this    *
*                 APAR when it is available.                   *
For TSM 420 users, the QUERY PROCESS for reclamation of
offsite volumes will report incorrect statistics for
Moved Bytes, Unreadable Bytes, and Current Physical File.

For TSM 421 users, the QUERY PROCESS for reclamation of
offsite volumes should report the correct statistics report
for Moved Bytes, Unreadable Bytes, and Current Physical File.
But QUERY PROCESS for MOVE DATA on onsite volume will report
the incorrect statistics for Unreadable Bytes.
PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
The incorrect statistics report on QUERY PROCESS for offsite
volume reclamation and for MOVE DATA on onsite volume have
been corrected.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682