ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MSSQL

2002-01-02 10:25:54
Subject: Re: TDP for MSSQL
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:23:42 -0500
> Our TDP for MSSQL backup is failing.. this is a newly installed
> clustered win2k server.. I'm not sure whats happening here. I see the
> one error below in sqlsched.log but would that cause it to hang? It
> seems to hang and not complete it's backup. At 7:30 it giving up and
> marks it as failed. Would adding an exclude for "tempdb" solve this
> perhaps? The one thing confusing is we're not doing a logfile backup. We
> do a weekly full and daily differential. These examples/output are from
> the daily differential attempt. I'm looking for opinions here if anyone
> has any things to try. Thanks!
>

> ACO5422E Received the following from the MS SQL server:
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The log for database
> 'tempdb' is not available. Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HY000)
> (HRESULT:0x80042329)

Gerald,

RC=1914 means "RC_SQL_API_FAILURE"
which means that the SQL backup API returned an error.

HRESULT:0x80042329 is coming from the SQL server and
it means error "9001" (hex 2329 in decimal is 9001)
with severity 10.

Check the SQL Server log to find any clues.

Does this backup work manually?  Does it just
fail when it is scheduled? See if this makes
a difference...

"tempdb" is always excluded from backup by default.
I am not sure why the SQL Server is looking to access
the tempdb in this case.  Try doing a differential
backup on that database with the backup tool shipped
with SQL server. Does it fail also?

If you still cannot get things to work, please
call IBM support.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"Celebrate we will. Life is short but sweet for certain..."  -- Dave