ADSM-L

Re: TDP for exchange vs Veritas hot backups

2001-12-22 16:46:36
Subject: Re: TDP for exchange vs Veritas hot backups
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:47:21 +0200
Demetrius,

IMHO this is very cheap and too much shifted report with nothing analytical
in it. Set of coloured bars with different tags on them. Not good even for
advertisement. Of course you have the right to like it. But it even does
not answer to the initial thread question.

This might be called "analysis" somehow but is it "nice" ???
1. Is there an administrator achieving only 0.6 MB/s on a DLT7000 drive
being not sure this system badly needs tuning. Backup to disk is more than
two times slower than backup to tape (10.5 MB/s vs 4.7 MB/s)??? And who
performed the tuning "using IBM/Tivoli redbooks and product manuals" ??
This same Veritas Support Engineer?
2. "NetBackup v3.2 and Storage Manager v3.7.2 are enterprise class storage
applications" !!! However the tests performed are tasks for standalone
backup tools like integrated Windows NT Backup for example and there is
*NOTHING* enterprise class. And if using NT Backup on those test I achieve
higher throughput does this automatically mean I can backup very quickly
600 GB Oracle database residing on AIX, HP-UX or Solaris to this same NT
box ?!?
        - not tested backup to more than one drive in parallel!
        - not tested backup over LAN !!!
        - not tested backup of many boxes to one server simultaneously !
        - not tested repeated backups with many or only few files changed
(remember incremental forever) !
        - not tested platform interoperability - backup of NT box to HP-UX
server or AIX database to NT server, etc. !
        - not tested or even mentioned backup of applications - RDBMS (DB2,
MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase), Mail (Domino, Exchange), etc. !
        - not tested online backups - neither open files or running
applications !
        - not tested point-in-time or any other multi-version restore
(there was thread on this list where last night backup was virus infected)
!
        - not tested any archiving methods !
        - not tested with any tape technology upgrades preserving the
backups !
        - backup to disk was tested only for TSM ! Why (try to guess)?
        - etc., etc., etc. ...
3. Having the necessary hardware I am able to setup this four server test
environment:
        - 4x 1 day - OS install;
        - 4x 1 day - installation and setup of the product I perfectly know
(TSM for me and NetBackup for this unnamed Veritas engineer);
        - 1 week to read the manuals, redbooks, etc. for the other product
(I have not ever heard about);
        - 4x 3 day - installation of the "other" product;
        - 4x 1/2 day x 2 (or 3) platform/product test.
This totals about a month of one-man-show. What about those two and half
months between 02.02 and 15.04 ? What took so much time? Should I include
in the timesheet more than a week product tuning for *EACH* platform
separately? Or the competitive product was so hard to understand that we've
spent month and half to read the manuals?
4. What is the purpose of this Altiris software quoted on the end of the
report? To quickly deploy somehow UNIX using tools targeted for PCs in a
classroom with/without specific tuning?

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Malbrough, Demetrius" <DMalbrough AT TTIINC DOT COM> on 21.12.2001 22:15:07