ADSM-L

Re: ANR1217E (insufficient mount points) ... TSM 4.2.1.9 ???

2001-12-21 14:53:00
Subject: Re: ANR1217E (insufficient mount points) ... TSM 4.2.1.9 ???
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO DOT US>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:00:59 -0600
This is very disheartening-- I have an open PMR on the  same problem with
4.2.1.8 (killing off processes when mount points are unavailable & drives no
longer show as polling on a 3494)  and I was told that 4.2.1.9 was to be the fix
for my problem.

Bummer.

But thanks very much for testing 4.2.1.9 for me!!

Happy Holidays!

Lisa Cabanas
Tivoli Storage Manager Administrator
Missouri Department of Transportation
105 West Capitol
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0270
cabanl AT mail.modot.state.mo DOT us
voice 573.526.4532
fax 573.522.9691
pager 573.761.8646

|--------+-------------------------------------------------->
|        |          Sheelagh Treweek                        |
|        |          <sheelagh.treweek AT computing-services DOT oxf|
|        |          ord.ac.uk>                              |
|        |                                                  |
|        |          12/21/2001 11:43 AM                     |
|        |          Please respond to Sheelagh Treweek      |
|        |                                                  |
|--------+-------------------------------------------------->
  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

  |      cc:     (bcc: Lisa Cabanas/SC/MODOT)                                  |
  |      Subject:     ANR1217E (insufficient mount points) ... TSM 4.2.1.9 ??? |

Greetings!

We are hoping to upgrade from TSM 4.1 to 4.2 quite soon and today I have
started looking at 4.2.1.9 fairly seriously.  One major behaviour that
seems different from 4.1 (and before) is that if there is not one/more
tape drives available then processes like BACKUP STG, MOVE DATA, AUDIT VOL
(for example) fail immediately with the error :

"ANR1217E BACKUP STGPOOL: Process 9 terminated - insufficient number of
 mount points available for removable media."

instead of the kinder and more convenient behaviour of waiting :

 Process Process Description  Status
  Number
-------- -------------------- -------------------------------------------------
   5,567 Audit Volume         Volume N00081 (storage pool BACKUP_V1), Files
   5,567 Audit Volume         Volume N00081 (storage pool BACKUP_V1), Files
          (Inspect Only)       Processed: 7, Damaged Files Found: 0, Partial
                               Files Skipped: 7. Current Physical File (bytes):
                               10,318,284

                               Waiting for mount point in device class
                               3590CLASS (5 seconds).

Could anyone in a position to, please explain if this is a design change
or bug sent to annoy me?

Also, Q DRIVE output has lost the column showing the device :

TSM 4.1.4.0 :

Library Name  Drive Name    Device Type  Device            ON LINE
------------  ------------  -----------  ----------------  -------------------
3494ROBOT     DEV200        3590         /dev/rmt2         Yes
3494ROBOT     DEV200        3590         /dev/rmt2         Yes

TSM 4.2.1.9 :

Library Name     Drive Name       Device Type     On-Line
------------     ------------     -----------     -------------------
3494ROBOT        DEV290           3590            Yes
3494ROBOT        DEV290           3590            Yes

Very irritating (and looks like a design change as the documentation
matches what I see ... ).

(Platform AIX 4.3)

Thanks!
Sheelagh