ADSM-L

Re: Export Node

2001-12-20 10:53:32
Subject: Re: Export Node
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:44:49 +0100
Hi

S/390 databases cannot be exported to a solaris machine.

Also, if your using Tivoli Storage Manager S/390 Edition version 4.1,
server-to-server isn't supported by Tivoli, and I don't know if it works at
all.

According to Tivoli, exporting a database is only supported on open systems
environments.

Using Server-To-Server communication won't export all of the TSM database.
When doing a S-S, nodes, domain and so on will be exported.

However, you cannot transport the devices, filespaces and file information.
Therefore, I wouldn't recommend this, and it is probably not supported by
Tivoli(if it works). If you cannot transport the devices, how will you be
able to transport file information? And if you cannot export file
information, you won't have transported the data, only the node names.

The best practice would be to use the Export command, exporting nodes,
filespaces and so on. However, this works theoretically, but I don't know
Tivolis position in this case.

Also, I don't know how you have connected you're storage devices. But if
you're using a Storagetek Powderhorn, it's ACSLS connected. Setting up this
in an open systems environment, is risky, concidering that your moving
production data. You wouldn't want to loose any of the data stored on the
tapes.

Perhaps this would work if you we're using Gresham EDT. I haven't tried
this, but, theoretically, it would probably work.

I don't know how many clients you have, but if they aren't that many,
wouldn't it be easier to move the clients to a new Solaris platforms. You
shouldn't move all at once, but perhaps migrate a couple at a time.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                    Niklas Lundstrom

                    <niklas.lundstrom@FORENINGSSPAR        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    BANKEN.SE>                             cc:
           BANKEN.SE>                             cc:

                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor              Subject:     Re:
Export Node
                    Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    2001-12-20 16:18

                    Please respond to "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Hello

Look in the RedBook ADSM Server-to-Server Implemantation and Operation
SG24-5244-00.
It explains the process very well