ADSM-L

Re: Backupset Restore

2001-12-19 11:07:47
Subject: Re: Backupset Restore
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:43:06 -0600
I am new to this group and to Tivoli, but I successfully used this command
yesterday.

dsmc restore backupset backupsetname \\machinename\c$}\*

I did not have to tell it which tape the set was on, just give it the
correct name, this is not the node name but the backupset name which usually
the nodename.somegeneratednumber then the individual file to restore. This
worked on 4.1.2.

I still have plenty of questions myself.

Once I had my backup set, I was able to delete the filespace (but retain the
node) which frees up space in my diskpool, correct? Once the file space was
deleted I was still able to go back to my backupset for a restore. Is this
the practiced method for retiring a client so we can keep a "snap shot" of a
retired client for an agreed amount of time?

Once the backupset is complete and I have identified the volume, what is the
preferred checkout command? Once a backupset has expired, how do I reuse the
volume it was on?

Hope this helps and hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,
Mark