ADSM-L

I hate it when TSM doesn't tell me I have a DB & LOG vol offline !

2001-12-18 14:46:39
Subject: I hate it when TSM doesn't tell me I have a DB & LOG vol offline !
From: "Cook, Dwight E (SAIC)" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:42:51 -0600
AIX 4.3.3 TSM 4.1.4.0

In our test environment I had forgot to set the db copy and log copy file
system to mount automatically upon system boot.
Well, in testing something today I performed a reboot of this box.
When the TSM server started it issued absolutely NO message what so ever
about its db mirror and its log mirror being Off-Line !
        OUCH !

So just when the heck does a

ANR0214W Database volume volume name is in the offline state - VARY ON
required.
Explanation: At system startup, the server finds that the specified database
volume is in the offline state.
System Action: The volume is not accessed.
User Response: Determine the reason for the volume being offline; if
possible, hvary it online.

get issued anyway ? ? ?

won't do me much good to monitor for an anr0214 if it is never issued !
but then again, if this is only at startup, the snmp agent probably wouldn't
be active yet so the alert would never get out... :-(

I don't think this is worth calling in on 4.1 but when I go to 4.2 you can
bet I'll be testing for this  !
        (so tivoli, if you've got your ears on...)

Dwight

ps. yes the files are offline, yes I even performed client activity that
would force db activity, still absolutely NOTHING about them being offline