ADSM-L

Re: Is a mix of 3590E normal tape with long-tape possible?

2001-12-12 08:57:08
Subject: Re: Is a mix of 3590E normal tape with long-tape possible?
From: "Cook, Dwight E (SAIC)" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:53:24 -0600
3590E normal tapes & long tapes ? ? ?
are you referring to "J" tapes & "K" tapes ?  (that is all I know of...)
J tapes are 3590-B1A tapes which may be written to by 3590-E1A tape drives
(a reformat is performed)
and K tapes are the 3590-E1A tapes from the start...
If this is the case, yes, you can have both in an ATL that is loaded with
3590-E1A tape drives...
OK, my ~technical~ term here... those little plastic do-ma-hickies that are
blue on "J" tapes, white on cleaning tapes and green on "K" tapes have
recesses in them that are in different locations and indicate to the tape
drive which type of media is in the drive...  You don't have to do anything
special...

Dwight