ADSM-L

Help! I need more space

2001-12-11 09:49:34
Subject: Help! I need more space
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:46:50 -0600
Hi folks,

I have a situation where our company has two backups systems, TSM being one of
them. The 'other' backup system doesn't work for various reasons and we are
planning to move the servers that backup to it to TSM. On the weekend that
other system fell a part. Now I need to backup about 500GBs into a Magstar L32
that really doesn't have that much space. I'm in a tight spot and I need some
creative ways to backup that much data. Here's what I've been trying:

turn collocation off, or from 'filespace' to 'on'
reviewing old nodes and the largest filespaces, but this didn't save to much
I don't think I can reduce any copies or the length of time that the copies are
stored

Here's what I do have:
I do have 8 x 36 GB disks that will be here soon
a ton of tapes, no room in the Magstar, but I must have 200-300 extra tapes
I also have 24 x 18.2 GB disks right now that are used for my disk pools and 4
x 9.1 GB disks that are used

So I was thinking I that I could:
1. use the 36 GB disks for a primary pool. Still sending the data offsite (copy
pool) because I have a lot of tapes, OR,
2. start taking tapes out of the Magstar and just setting them aside, when they
are full

I do have a LTO coming but not for 2-3 months.

I could really use a creative idea to store a lot of data. I have the tapes
just not the slots inside my Magstar.

Thanks Miles

Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"