ADSM-L

Re: Test restore to alternative server?

2001-12-10 00:18:29
Subject: Re: Test restore to alternative server?
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:14:44 -0600
Just install the client software on your test machine in the same way as
you would your real client.  DON'T set up the scheduler.  Then insert a
line in the dsm.sys (Unix) or dsm.opt (Windows, Netware) file:

     NODENAME    realclientname

You'll need to enter the node password when you do the test restore.  The
TSM server doesn't know it isn't the real client (which is why you don't
set up the scheduler).  You can test "bare metal" recovery procedures this
way, which is a much better idea than waiting until some calamity befalls
your real client.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Eugene Awyong -
                    Singapore              To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <eawyong AT SAPL DOT SA       cc:
                    MSUNG.COM>             Subject:     Test restore to
alternative server?
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    12/09/2001 08:56
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hi *SMers',

    I have a spare server which we are installing the TSM client now. What
would like to do is to do a test restore from one of our actual TSM clients
to see if this actually works. Can someone tell me how I should be actually
installing the client on the test restore server (normally or ?) and how
will I be able to actually do a restore of server A's data to the test
server (instead of restoring to the original server).

Many Thanks,
Eugene