ADSM-L

Re: How many concurrent backup sets?

2001-12-08 06:59:30
Subject: Re: How many concurrent backup sets?
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT ALUMNI.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 06:56:27 -0500
At 09:19 AM 12/6/2001 -0500, Joe Cascanette wrote:
Depending on your server setup there will be a fight for tapes. Turning
collocation ON for your onsite pools would greatly increase the time to
create backup sets. I have 4 backup sets running every 2nd day at once (I
have 10 drives which leaves 2 drive available to do restores.) I have also
noticed that you are unable to perform storage pool backups during the
creation of backup sets (it keeps canceling the process).

Since you're speaking with the voice of experience, I'm in no position to
doubt this, but at first glance, this seems counter-intuitive, or worse.
Can anyone wave their hands for a few minutes and explain why collocation
retards creating backup sets? :-)

Joe Cascanette
The Cumis Group Limited

Nick Laflamme
speaking for no one these days....

PS - each backup set will use its own tape(s), I have a PRM (and others do
as well) to correct this problem.