ADSM-L

Point system has me very confused

2001-12-07 20:30:50
Subject: Point system has me very confused
From: Jeff Rogers <jrogers AT MJROGERS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:13:05 -0500
Can somebody help me to understand this point/tier system.   It understand
that sharing Tivoli pricing information is some kind of no-no, so please
feel free to reply off-list.

What I think I understand so far.

Workstation Clients ???
Tier 1 - 1 ~ 4 processors on Intel 32bit hardware.
Tier 2  - RISC or Intel 64bit - I assume 5 ~ 8 processor 32bit Intel boxes
as well.
Tier 3 - Greater than 8 processor??

In Tivoli pricing land, what is considered a "server".  For example, I
don't think an RS/6000 Model B50 (piece of junk) with a 9GB drive used for
development work should be a Tier 2 machine.  I don't even consider it a
Tier 1 machine.  Even though it runs DB2, it is basically a workstation.

How many points is each tier worth, and where do normal workstation
machines fit in?

How many points is the TSM server itself?  on a tier 1 (NT) server?  on a
tier 2 (AIX) server?

How many points are the Data Protection products, specifically Domino?

What about DB2, do you just buy enough points to cover the tier of the
machine?  Even if there is no plan to backup "files"