ADSM-L

Re: Recovering a damaged volume

2001-12-07 17:06:38
Subject: Re: Recovering a damaged volume
From: Sean M English <senglish AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:03:55 -0500
Zoltan,

Try using the preview=yes parameter and when the process is done check the
activity  log for the volumes that are required.

Regards,
Sean

Sean M. English
Enterprise Storage Management
IBM Global Services, SDC
Charlotte, NC
Good news is just life's way of keeping you off balance.

                    "Orville L.
                    Lantto"                 To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <orville.lantto@D       cc:
                    TREND.COM>              Subject:     Re: Recovering a
damaged volume
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    .EDU>

                    12/07/2001 04:42
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Try the admin client help.  It is always at the latest level, the CDs are
the "dot-zero".

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.
121 Cheshire Lane #700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: orville.lantto AT dtrend DOT com
V: 952-931-1203
F: 952-931-1293
C: 612-770-9166

                    Zoltan
                    Forray/AC/VCU        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <zforray@VCU.        cc:
                    EDU>                 Subject:     Recovering a damaged
volume
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    12/07/01
                    03:03 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

OK, guys and gals. Need some assistance, especially since I did RTFM and
the book is in error.

I have a damaged tape. I went to the TSM manual (even checked the latest
CD I received with my 4.2 server) under:

Recovering a Lost or Damaged Storage Pool Volume

It says to:

1. Determine the copy pool volumes that contain the backup copies of the
files that were stored on the volume that was destroyed by entering:

   restore volume dsm087 preview=volumesonly

This command produces a list of offsite volumes that contain the backed up
copies of the files that were on tape volume DSM087.

Well, every time I issue this command (using my tape number, of course), I
get:

F ADSM,RESTORE VOLUME 040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR5965I Console command:  RESTORE VOLUME 040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: RESTORE VOLUME
040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR2020E RESTORE VOLUME: Invalid parameter - VOLUMESONLY.

What gives ?

What is the correct procedure to handle this situation ?

Zoltan Forray
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University - University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu  -  voice: 804-828-4807