ADSM-L

Re: Recovering a damaged volume

2001-12-07 16:47:04
Subject: Re: Recovering a damaged volume
From: "Orville L. Lantto" <orville.lantto AT DTREND DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:42:40 -0600
Try the admin client help.  It is always at the latest level, the CDs are
the "dot-zero".

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.
121 Cheshire Lane #700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: orville.lantto AT dtrend DOT com
V: 952-931-1203
F: 952-931-1293
C: 612-770-9166

                    Zoltan
                    Forray/AC/VCU        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <zforray@VCU.        cc:
                    EDU>                 Subject:     Recovering a damaged
volume
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    12/07/01
                    03:03 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

OK, guys and gals. Need some assistance, especially since I did RTFM and
the book is in error.

I have a damaged tape. I went to the TSM manual (even checked the latest
CD I received with my 4.2 server) under:

Recovering a Lost or Damaged Storage Pool Volume

It says to:

1. Determine the copy pool volumes that contain the backup copies of the
files that were stored on the volume that was destroyed by entering:

   restore volume dsm087 preview=volumesonly

This command produces a list of offsite volumes that contain the backed up
copies of the files that were on tape volume DSM087.

Well, every time I issue this command (using my tape number, of course), I
get:

F ADSM,RESTORE VOLUME 040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR5965I Console command:  RESTORE VOLUME 040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: RESTORE VOLUME
040287 PREVIEW=VOLUMESONLY
ANR2020E RESTORE VOLUME: Invalid parameter - VOLUMESONLY.

What gives ?

What is the correct procedure to handle this situation ?

Zoltan Forray
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University - University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu  -  voice: 804-828-4807