ADSM-L

Re: Data Security/Encryption TSM v3.7

2001-12-04 09:33:03
Subject: Re: Data Security/Encryption TSM v3.7
From: "Fujinaga, Cal" <CFUJINAGA AT KOCKW DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:29:40 +0300
I didn't see a reply on this.  Here's my two cents:
1.  Compression is not encryption and there are only a limited
     number of methods.  Once broken, the compressed data is
     as clear as clear text.  Just stops the casual hackers and
     snoopers.
2.  SSH and other such products won't secure your backup jobs as
     TSM is using it's own communications method.
     SSH and other jobs will hide your sessions, but has nothing to
     do with the actual backups.
3.  Encrypting first sounds good, provided you have space enough.
     Sorry, I've never used any such software.
4.  Bytes are bytes and since most people use hardware compression,
     you can stream the data from the tapes with or without TSM.
     Making sense is the same concept as looking at a flow of packet data
     coming across an ethernet wire.  It's again clear text flowing off of
the
     tapes.  Might not make much sense, but sensitive text data from the
     tapes can be sniffed out.
5.  If he can see the traffic, he has breached your systems.  In the current
     days of dedicated ports, he would normally need access to wire between
     switches and routers or the switches and routers themselves.  If you're
     routing across the internet, then unless you're using things like vpn,
your
     traffic is viewable to those who manage or breach the routes.

The above may be wrong as they're my speculations.  VPN might be useable
internally as well as externally to control the clear text across the
network both
in house and out.  Physical access (whether to backup tapes, network
hardware,
or the systems themselves) is always a security problem.
My user book says client encryption is available for Windows
and NT but not unix.  It seems to imply encrypt across the network and not
the tape (decrypt before it puts it on the tape).

Cal Fujinaga