ADSM-L

Scripted synchronised backups..

2001-11-30 09:45:36
Subject: Scripted synchronised backups..
From: "Warren, Matthew James" <matthewjames.warren AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:42:55 -0000
Hello TSM'ers,

This is one for you unix scripting people out there.

I am unable in our environment to test the kinds of commands needed to
achieve this, but we have a customer who wishes to perform backups on 5
machines, controlled from one machine.

So, a script would execute on one machine, remotely invoke a backup script
on each of the other machines and then wait untill those scripts have
finished before continuing.

My initial idea would be to use something like a series of rexecs placed
into the background, followed by a wait to wait for these scripts to return.

(pseudo-Ksh-code)

pre-backup stuff

rexec host backup.sc &
rexec host backup.sc &
etc..
wait

post backup stuff

Our customer though does not hjave rexec available, and woudl like to
perform somthing similar maybe using rsh ?

My scripting is Ok, but I have not done much with remote shells / commands
etc.. so I wouldnt know how they behaved without testing it out a few times
myself, which I can't do atthe moment.

Does anyone have any Ideas or do anything similar?

Thanks,

Matthew Warren.
EDS Core Infrastructure.
Wavendon Tower.