ADSM-L

Re: 4.2.1 IMAGE client

2001-11-29 11:25:48
Subject: Re: 4.2.1 IMAGE client
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:19:40 -0500
Thanks Dwight,
I'll have to look it up. I'm thinking this may be a significant feature for
places that do a archives of huge unmber of files that require the whole
package to be tretrieved. In this case, the database entries would be a single
entry instead of perhaps several hundred thousand. Correct?....Assuming for can
use the image feature for archives.

>>> cookde AT BP DOT COM 11/29/01 10:31AM >>>
used for "image" backups ;-)
for backing up "raw" volumes (or any logical volumes...)
Say you have a file system with only 10 GB but it has a million files in
it... the overhead in backing up a million files is BAD but you could
perform an image backup of the logical volume on which the file system
resides and it would be much quicker due to the lesser amount of overhead.
Granted you have to restore it as a whole but...

so that is what it is used for.

should have seen it earlier though.

Dwight