ADSM-L

Re: Selective backup and Incl/excl

2001-11-28 14:50:06
Subject: Re: Selective backup and Incl/excl
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:46:56 -0800
Hi, Andy.

I've included some text from the 3.1 and 4.2 Windows client manuals.  It
looks like selective backup behavior regarding exclude.dir has been
consistent.  A selective backup should be able to backup files excluded by
exclude.dir.  I didn't see any notice about this kind of change in the
readme.  Not to be a noodge, but if you're seeing otherwise with the 4.2.1
client, I feel that should either be reported as an APAR or, if it's a
planned change in functionality, that should be changed in the
documentation.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Paschal
Storage Administrator
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail

4.2 manual

Selective Backup Requirements
When you request a selective backup, TSM backs up a file if all of
the following requirements are met:
The file is not specified on an exclude statement in your include-exclude
list. If you do not have an include-exclude list, all files are considered
for backup.

Exclude option excerpt:
exclude.dir
Excludes a directory, its files, and all its subdirectories and their files
from backup services. The exclude.dir option works only if the excluded
directory is a subdirectory. Use this option to exclude a portion of your
data in which no underlying files need to be backed up.  When you exclude a
directory, you can still back up specific files within that directory using
a selective backup. However, the next time you perform an incremental
backup, these backup versions are expired.

3.1 manual

When you request a selective backup, ADSM backs up a file if all of the
following
requirements are met:
The file is not specified on an exclude statement in your include-exclude
list. If you do not have an include-exclude list, all files are considered
for backup.

Exclude option excerpt:
.dir
Excludes an entire directory from backup services. The pattern is used to
find matching directory names. If a matching directory is found, that
directory, its files, and all its subdirectories and their files are
excluded from backup services. When you exclude a directory, you can still
back up specific files within that directory, using selective backup.