ADSM-L

Re: Experienced Admin needs help with Novell

2001-11-27 08:56:50
Subject: Re: Experienced Admin needs help with Novell
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:53:54 -0600
Thank you.

With specific regards to #4, the Novell servers are set up (so I'm told I don't
administer them) in a cluster with many 'shared' volumes, and of course only
one node has a volume 'online' at a time. But during a failover situation a
node may have a volume mounted that it does not normally.

For example servers S1 and S2 and volumes V1 and V2 - S1 normally has V1 and S2
normally has V2. Now the problem is that during a failure over from S1 to S2,
V1 will not be mounted on S2. And if I run a backup of S2 it will backup V1,
which not really what I want. S2 will backup *all of* V1, instead of performing
an incremental.

The 'vritualnodename' parameter, according to the documentation, seems to work
only with restores. No?

So if V1 normally gets backed up on S1, and V1 moves to S2, how do I perform an
incremental backup of V1 on S2?

Thanks Miles

-------------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
----------------------
>>> ha7 AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM 27-Nov-01 1:44:18 AM >>>
>>> ha7 AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM 27-Nov-01 1:44:18 AM >>>
Some hints ( Novell 5 )
1) User with full administrator rights
2) entry in dsm.opt
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL NDS
4) nothing special known to us - we are running a cluster, backup each node as
a seperate node ( and use virtualnodename if necessary )

hope this helps a little

herfried

Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 26.11.2001 19:28:03