ADSM-L

Re: Archives vrs Backup Sets

2001-11-23 03:43:04
Subject: Re: Archives vrs Backup Sets
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT CW DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:39:49 +0100
Joe,
> From what I am reading I am able to perform this operation at the TSM
> server and it directs the output to scratch tapes. The GREAT thing about
> this is it does NOT touch the serves to retransmit all the data to the
> archive storage pool, and then to tape (which is alot of traffic!). The
> Backups sets would use more tapes (kind of like collocation turned on
> right?!). So after the daily incremental running at night, I will be
> able to create the backup sets ( for a monthly archive) using the
> current data just backed up from that node. (right?!)
Right! The backupset-"archive" gets created without having to retransmit
any data from the node to the server.

> One question is when doing a backup set, does it also save all the
> inactive files? or just the active ones?
Like an archive, a backup set only contains active data.

> Is there a way to direct all the backup sets to another copy pool to
> utilize tape consumption and to keep the tapes separate from the other
> copypools for easier search? (just a thought - but this would be a lot
> of extra work.
Backupsets aren't written to a storage pool. You just define the device
class to be used and tsm takes the tapes from the scratch list of your
checked in library volumes.
On a "q libvol" you can see the tapes like this:
IBM3494B         C00246          Private                       Data
IBM3494B         C00247          Private                       BackupSet
IBM3494B         C00248          Private                       Data
IBM3494B         C00249          Scratch
IBM3494B         C00251          Private                       DbBackup

One advantage of a backupset is that the tape containing the backupset
can get used on another tsm server to restore the client. This is not
possible with an archive.

Best regards,
Michael
--
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com
Michael Bartl                               mailto:michael.bartl AT cw DOT com