ADSM-L

Re: Dumb Exchange question

2001-11-21 15:25:54
Subject: Re: Dumb Exchange question
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:23:09 -0600
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:31:44 -0500, it was written:
>        We will be upgrading to the new TDP for Exchange 2.2 from version
>1.1 some time after the first of the year and we are wondering if the newer
>version supports individual mailbox recovery. I know the 1.1 version didn't
>easily support mailbox recovery, you had to build a new Exchange box, dump
>an entire database restore to it and then export the mailbox back to the
>production system.
>        Do will still need to jump through all the same hoops again to
>restore a mailbox in version 2.2??

Tivoli refuses to use non-Microsoft-standard APIs to do TSM work...for
which I am eternally grateful. Using such non-standard stuff is what
gets Legato, Veritas, and ArcServe in such hot water when an MS
service pack or hot fix is applied.

MS Exchange APIs do *not* support individual mailbox ("brick-level")
restores. What non-TSM backup apps use to get around this is (usually)
the Exchange messaging API, which was *not* built for backups/restores
and which are incredibly slow and buggy when used for such.