ADSM-L

Re: Help please with collocation

2001-11-19 13:26:26
Subject: Re: Help please with collocation
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:23:48 -0800
NO.  I don't think so.  The offsite pool should not be collocated unless
you have a service level agreement that says a file that's backed up has
its copy sent offsite withing 12-24 hours.  But if you need to do that
then why isn't the tape drive remotely IN the offsite vault(like a
bank's?)???????????????

I think collocation of the ONSITE pool is very important for large or
small users. Who wants to wait around for hundreds of tapes to be mounted
over 2, 4, 6 or evan a 'measly' 8 drives?  :-)

My setup is: 1100 users, 435 cells in a 3494 (1 ... now 2 frames) 4 3590s
(2 originally).  I maintain a collocated onsite of all but about 20 tapes.
There's a comparable amount of offsite tapes.  When an offsite tape goes
to FULL its pulled and sent to ARCUS vaulting with a matching DBS.  I only
allow 1 OFFSITE tape to be mounted and written on at a time.

Onsite tapes: I try to have nothing but FILLING tapes at 50% or lower.
This is ideal and never happens.  Best I can achieve is 1/3 full
and 2/3 FILLING and at 45%.  (not counting pending tapes)

I have a perl program that adds 1 or 2 scratch tapes everytime an onsite
is reclamated.  I figure adding 2 for every one, when its possible, helps
'tease' the larger users off to their own tape and ensures that everyone
'migrates' to their one and only tape as time goes by.

The twenty scratch tapes are used on weekends to reclamate the offsite.
I only maintain at most 6 DB backups in the box but 9 DBS are offsite.
We have a two week rotation on offsite so at any one time there's two sets
of 20-35 pending (empty) tapes waiting to come back.

cheers !  ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633