ADSM-L

Help please with collocation

2001-11-19 06:37:12
Subject: Help please with collocation
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:34:57 +0000
Hello again TSMers

I have some another questions, this time regarding collocation.

At present we are backing up 21 client nodes and have a backup pool made up
of DISKPOOL and TAPEPOOL. Then we have our off-site volumes, imaginatively
entitled COPYPOOL. I am thinking that we do not necessarily need to use
collocation for all of our nodes; maybe just for five or six of our more
important ones (we do backup sets for these as well).

The questions are as follows:-

1)   What are peoples thoughts on collocation in the first place. Is it
generally a good idea? Any thoughts really?
2)   Secondly, can someone tell me a good, clean, simple way of achieving
only collocating certain clients.
3)   Also, baring in mind that at present, we back up all clients to one
COPYPOOL, what would be the implications of a) moving some clients to a new
backup COPYPOOL (what happens to all the data currently stored on the
original COPYPOOL and b) turning off collocation for the original COPYPOOL
(i.e. would this lead to a very long reclamation run).

There is probably a lot more inf. that I should have included here, but I
am relatively new and probably don't know the questions to ask.

Thanks again and I look forward to any help you can all give me.

All the best

Farren Minns