ADSM-L

Re: W98/ME Client Backup problem

2001-11-19 01:52:31
Subject: Re: W98/ME Client Backup problem
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:49:02 -0600
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:05:40 -0800, it was written:

>I have a 4.1 client running W98 SE on a laptop against a 4.1.1.0 AIX server.
>Since the user never really knows when the machine will be on the network
>for a backup I leave the onus up to her and do not put it on schedule at
>all.  At any rate, every time the user initiates a backup via the GUI, the
>system attempts to perform a FULL (backup always) backup.  As far as I know,
>there is no option in the Server Client Option Set or the local DSM.OPT that
>would force this.  Does anyone know of anything that could cause this?
>Obviously, the full backup takes quite a bit of time and the user is not
>interested in waiting hours for what should be minutes for a daily
>incremental.

A really good beer says she's got "backup always" selected in the GUI
pulldown menu in the top middle of the window.

Here's a test to make sure. Have her open the command-line backup
client, and type "i" (without the quotes). She'll get the incremental
backup, not the full one.