ADSM-L

Re: upgrading tape density

2001-11-16 07:24:57
Subject: Re: upgrading tape density
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:23:56 +0200
This issue was discussed many times on this list. The main trick is to
update all volumes for low density tapes ACC=READOnly. The reason is that
3590E drives can only read low density tapes but cannot write to them at
low density. After either reclamation or MOVE DATA (i.e. manually forced
reclamation) the tape is free and you can start writing it at high density.
Should you "trap" and re-label cartridges is a question I cannot answer
from first hand - I haven't upgraded 3494 (yet). But you can try it by
yourself and prove it in practice - do MOVE DATA on a cartridge and write
some data on it (generate backupset, define new pool and the tape as
private, etc.). If it works ...

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Shawn Bierman <BiermanS AT METHODISTHEALTH DOT ORG> on 15.11.2001 21:20:15