ADSM-L

Re: upgrading tape density

2001-11-15 17:10:55
Subject: Re: upgrading tape density
From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:08:20 -0600
The high density drives will never write a tape in low density.  They can
read the low density tapes.
Jim Sporer

At 01:20 PM 11/15/2001 -0600, you wrote:
Hello,

** TSM 4.1 -- AIX 4.3.3.0 -- 3494 Library **

We upgraded our 3590B drives to 3590E1A drives.  We've also started using
the double density tapes (K).

If I am not mistaken, once the tape has been labeled it will remain at the
density that it was labeled at.  So, if I labeled a tape with the old
3590B drives and the low density tape and this tape gets used and
eventually becomes scratch again, will it ever be re-labeled at the higher
density so that we are getting our moneys worth out of our upgrades?

I thought about using a script that would do a 'trap' and watch for tapes
becoming scratch and then just relabel them at that point.  Anyone been in
this situation before?

thanks for your time.
-shawn

Shawn L. Bierman