ADSM-L

Re: Bad Performance in a SAN Environment

2001-11-15 00:16:26
Subject: Re: Bad Performance in a SAN Environment
From: Orville Lantto <olantto AT DTREND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:04:00 -0700
Your performance is on the low side, but not to far off what Tivoli says is
normal for backups of your type with an LTO.  You have "small" files,
averaging just over 0.5 MB.  TSM cannot process small files fast enough to
keep the LTO streaming.  The tape drive has to stop, back hitch and index
forward to begin writing once data is again available.  LTOs (and DLTs) are
absolutely awful at this.

  Look for my posting 10/8 on this list for my experience.  The title was
"LTOs and TSM, the Real Scoop".

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.
121 Cheshire Lane #700
Minnetonka, MN 55305

                    Jorge Rodriguez
                    <jrodri_duran@HO        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    TMAIL.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:         Subject:     Bad Performance in a
SAN Environment
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    11/14/01 11:01
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hi...

I have the following: AIX 4.3.3. TSM Server 4.2.0 Storage Agent 4.2.0 TSM
Client 4.2.0 TDP for R/3 3.2.0.6, a McData fabric with LTO 3584 4 drives.

Using the B/A Client the results are:

Total number of objects inspected:      427
Total number of objects backed up:      418
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects expired:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:   241.37 MB
Data transfer time:                  188.87 sec
Network data transfer rate:        1,308.67 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:      2,125.24 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                     0%
Elapsed processing time:           00:01:56

I have serious performance problems.

What Can I do to improve the performance?

Thanks in Advance

Jorge Rodrmguez
Caracas - Venezuela