ADSM-L

TDP for Exchange Problem

2001-11-14 17:55:52
Subject: TDP for Exchange Problem
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:53:52 -0800
We have an Exchange server running TDP v1.1.1. It's been backing up for
a year or so and someone noticed it has somewhere around 2.9TB of data
backed up. This shouldn't be because as far as we know it was set up to
only store 30 days with one 10GB Full done per day, and 4 60MB
incrementals done each day during the day. If you do the math that
should be around 10GB * 30 days = 300GB for the fulls.. and less for the
increments.. nowhere near 3TB..

In loading the GUI, the individual only sees 30 days of backups backed
up. So by the GUI it appears as though it's working correctly.

The two pieces don't mesh and my suspicion is that old backups aren't
being expired but I'm not sure how to verify that. Could someone tell me
what the best way would be to determine what is going on here? I
suggested looking for the log files and looking in there. But in the
meantime I also wanted to shoot off this email in hopes there was
another way to look into this problem. Perhaps some command line
commands I could try.

I thought aobut doing a "q backup -subdir=yes "C:\*"" but wasn't sure if
that would yield anything since exchange  TDP backups probably don't go
under C:\

Anyways any help greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have any
documents for v1.1 on me and tivoli's site lacks them too. Plus I'm
trying to troubleshoot this problem 2nd hand instead of being on the box
itself.

Gerald Wichmann
System Engineer
StorageLink