ADSM-L

Re: LTO performance

2001-11-13 09:25:16
Subject: Re: LTO performance
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:22:03 -0600
At the 2001 Storage Conference in Las Vegas, there was a session on LTO
performance.  One of the slides showed tested performance of IBM LTO drives
vs. file size.  If memory serves, it ranged from 1MB/sec for "small" files
to 20? 30? MB/sec for large files.  This is characteristic of the current
technology, having to do with backhitch performance.  Storage pool
migration performance can be improved by adjusting the TSM parameters that
affect the amount of data migrated in a "batch".  If anybody is interested
in details, email me and I'll see if I can dig out the CD.

0CE1 is pretty old as firmware goes, and there were some problems with it.
The latest version on the support page is 16E0, which appears to be solid.
Make very sure that you follow the procedure in the manual for upgrading
the drives, not for upgrading the picker firmware, which is given in the
3583_Howto.txt - using the drive firmware to upgrade the picker is not
likely to improve matters.  There are later firmware versions on the ftp
site, but fixlist.html file does not document the most recent firmware
versions, unfortunately.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Senthil
                    Odaiyappan             To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <SOdaiyappan@IN        cc:
                    AUTIX.COM>             Subject:     LTO performance
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU>

                    11/13/2001
                    01:52 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I Have LTO 3583 and using with TSM. I am getting only 5Gb/Hr where as the
spec says it is 10GB/Hr. When i went through the TSM Mailing List Archive
some has suggested to change the tape microcode to 0CE1 from 0BN1. But i
could not locate the file 0ce1.fmr in the site :

 ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/358x

I got 16E0.fmr in that site but i get error while updating the file through
SCSI bus.

Any one has any idea?.

Regards
O.Senthil