ADSM-L

Re: HP LTO Drives and TSM

2001-11-08 19:27:41
Subject: Re: HP LTO Drives and TSM
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:24:11 -0600
Kelly,

I'm not sure about Ultrium specifically, but your question, "...the only
thing
I can think is that the drive firmware is sufficiently different from what
was tested but that seems pretty farfetched.  Perhaps a Tivoli person can
fill us in, at least generically, how device support is determined..." is
very possible.  That is exactly what happened to us with our new HP 4/40
DLT library.

The HP library arrived with firmware version 1.25.0.  The TSM device driver
did not work at all - even lbtest failed.  After calling Tivoli and HP it
was determined that the driver (we were at 4.1.2.0 at the time) was
developed using firmware version 1.13.0.  The newer firmware version was
returning more data than expected in response to certain queries and
overrunning the driver's receive buffer.  There was an APAR on that and it
had been closed.  Tivoli reopened it.  HP published their SCSI command set
implementation as a PDF on their web site and I sent that PDF to Tivoli
development for reference.

With the release of TSM 4.1.4.0 the new driver was included and that worked
AOK with the new firmware. In fact, right now we are using firmware 1.30.0
and TSM is working fine.

But that doesn't mean that situation couldn't happen again.

Good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation