ADSM-L

NT Journal Service ?

2001-11-07 09:46:02
Subject: NT Journal Service ?
From: "Magura, Curtis" <curtis.magura AT LMCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:36:27 -0500
Client 4.2.1.15
NT 4 SP6a

Server 4.2.0.1
AIX 4.3.3 ML6

Installed the journal service using my personal machine(win2k) as a test a
few weeks back. No issues. Can't say that I noticed much in the way of
backup performance changes but since very little data is kept or changes on
my machine I wasn't overly concerned.

Went through the setup wizard this morning for the journal service on one
for the production boxes. Took all of the defaults. Since the service
started the NT event log is flooded with:

11/07/2001 03:10:42 psMonitorThread(tid 179):
FindFirstFile(F:\SYSTEM\APPS\SA2001\v85\COMMONPATH\SAMULTI.DAT): RC=5
11/07/2001 03:10:42 psMonitorThread(tid 179): Object
'F:\SYSTEM\APPS\SA2001\v85\COMMONPATH\SAMULTI.DAT' skipped, will not be
added to the journal.

The same file (along with others) keeps getting logged over and over. For
now I have stopped the journal service until we understand what is going on.
Looked back through the event log on my laptop and it has never logged any
messages other than the journal service starting up.

Is anyone using the journal feature and if so what configuration did you do?

Curt Magura
Lockheed Martin EIS
Gaithersburg, Md.
301-240-6305