ADSM-L

Re: ANS1312E

2001-11-05 10:24:26
Subject: Re: ANS1312E
From: David McClelland <DAVIDMCCLELLAND AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:19:38 +0000
Hi Miles,

My sympathies - this error can drive you around the bend, as it did me last
week.

The first thing to check is your tape drives - the whole problem that I was
encountering was related to TSM believing a tape drive was available when
in fact it wasn't. When TSM fails to mount a tape in the drive that it
thinks should be available it didn't quite know what to do, instead of
taking the drive offline, as it normally would. You'll probably have seen
the following in your server activity log:

     ANR1410W Mount request denied for volume xxxxxx - mount failed.
     ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library xxATL1.
     ANR0525W Transaction failed for session x for node x - storage media
inaccessible.

In isolation this may not appear too bad, but if you have several sessions
queuing or in media wait, then all of the sessions fail with this error,
quitting along the lines of no drives being available in the ATL. Which is
most annoying and frustrating when you are sitting there and you can see
several of your drives available and idle.

As I said, the whole problem in our environment was related to a single
drive getting utterly confused as to whether it had a tape mounted or not -
this was then followed by TSM trying to mount the current 'Filling' tape,
one which our 3494 had dropped and had 'lost' somehow (I'm not sure the CE
put it back into the 'emergency slot'...)  and TSM getting even more
confused when it couldn't mount it.

I would suggest resolving this situation by:

o) getting TSM to unmount all of the drives it thinks have a tape mounted,
and manually unloading any others (and as necessary, in a 3494 that is,
make sure you put the tape back in the emergency slot),
o) performing an audit of the library,
o) remove and re-introduce the tape drives at AIX level (i.e. lsdev -Cc
tape, rmdev -dl rmt0, rmt1 etc. then run cfgmgr to make sure they all come
back),
o) stop starting the /etc/lmcpd daemon,
o) remove and re-add the drives at TSM level, by which time your library
may have finished its audit.
o) Now try it, and keep an eye on the TSM server's activity log for any of
those messages above.

This worked for me, thankfully.

Can anyone perhaps add any more of an explanation to this?

Rgds,

David McClelland
Tivoli Storage Management Team
Tivoli Storage Management Team
IBM EMEA Technical Centre,
Internet: davidmcclelland AT uk.ibm DOT com

Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 05-11-2001 14:09:45