ADSM-L

Antwort: restoring client as a full OS install?

2001-11-02 16:51:27
Subject: Antwort: restoring client as a full OS install?
From: Jan Moewe <Jan.Moewe AT HAMBURGLB DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 22:48:21 +0100
Alexander,

IBM has published a red book called "bare metal restore" or something like
this.
For NT4 we customized the described procedure a bit and the tests were
fine.
For recovery you do this simple steps:
1. Have your new hardware at hand (make sure the new hardware can run with
the drivers for fdd and video of the old hardware),
2. Install a small maintenance partition with os, network, tcp/ip and tsm,
3. make a new partition (for your old production system) at least as big as
the old one,
4. restore all your files (including the files in the adsm.sys directory,
hope you backed them up ),
5. the files in the adsm.sys directory are hives of the registry, copy them
to the right places (ask your NT Administrator) and
6. reboot your machine using the restored partition.

We tested our procedure with a lotus notes server, it works.

Greetings
Jan

                    Alexander
                    Lazarevich                An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    <alazarev AT HERA DOT ITG        Kopie:
                    .UIUC.EDU>                Thema:  restoring client as a
full OS install?
                    Gesendet von:
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    01.11.2001 15:42
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

I'd like to know if anyone has restored a client to a blank/new drive in
order to fully bring back the OS. What I mean is this: If a client disk
drive fails, and I need bring that client machine back up ASAP, it would
be quicker if I could restore every single file that was backed up for the
client. If all system/install/data files on the client were backed up,
then the restore should work, right? This would be quicker than
reinstalling all apps, because we have a lot of apps...

I already tried this. But it didn't work because I was trying to restore
to a drive that was the currently running OS client, and I think ADSM was
unable to restore files that were running processes. So now I'm going to
try and restore to a second clean drive that I installed in the machine.
I also installed a base OS on the second drive, rather than keeping it a
clean drive with a formated filesystem of the OS type. I'm not sure if one
was is better than another.

I read the ADSM manual, thinking that the section called "Disaster
Recovery" would be just what I'm doing, and it's not. I already know what
my machine specs are, I just need to know if I can trully restore the OS.

Cause everything on a computer is a file, right? If that's true then this
should work, right?

Anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Alex Lazarevich
Systems Administrator
Imaging Technology Group, http://www.itg.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute, http://www.beckman.uiuc.edu
405 N. Mathews, Urbana IL  61801  USA
Ph: (217)244-1565 e-mail: alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu