ADSM-L

Re: fixediobufsize, etc.

2001-11-01 11:29:13
Subject: Re: fixediobufsize, etc.
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:14:37 -0500
Jim,

fixediobufsize was a disaster since it corrupted backups.  Tivoli
has completely disabled it, and it isn't likely to return from what I have
been able to learn at SHARE.

The reason for dropping tapeiobufs when running on r10 to 3590's is
that tsm will write a 256k block.  It is still using bsam but it is exploiting
the 'large blocksize support' added to dfsms 1.6 which is an element of r10.

Also available in r10 is striping for lds files.  I am in the process of
converting all the tsm lds files to striped lds files to improve performance.

I am running 4.2.1 and it seems to be a very good level on os/390; none of
the problems seen by aix & nt servers apply to the os/390 version.  You need
4.2.* to get the 256k blocks on 3590 feature.

Hope this helps,

--